Wynyard
Three ex-convict Alexander brothers established a settlement, Alexandria, on the west, or Table Cape, side of the Inglis River in the 1850s. They bought large areas of farmland on Table Cape and built several small ships for produce and timber trading. Shortly afterwards, a town was laid on the east side of the river. Originally called Table Cape, it lagged well behind Alexandria which had a church and several shops including a blacksmith and general store. After the Inglis River was bridged in 1861, Alexandria began to fade and Wynyard, with better wharfing, became the district's centre of commerce.
Wynyard was probably renamed after Major-General Edward Buckley Wynyard in the early 1850s. Table Cape Post Office opened around 1856 and was renamed Wynyard in 1882.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Copyright
Viewgrant Pty Ltd 2025
Richardsclan
Becoming a Grey Nomad
TASMANIA